Birth name Anwar Hussain
Born 1st February 1949
Genres playback singing
Years active 1979–present
Anwar Hussain, known more by his first name "Anwar", is a playback singer who rose to prominence in the Hindi playback industry because of the uncanny resemblance of his voice with that of Mohammad Rafi, who is the greatest Hindi playback singers.
Anwar was born in Mumbai in 1949; his father was an accomplished harmonium player and an assistant music director to the famed Ghulam Haider. He was classically trained by Ustad Abdul Rehman Khan, incidentally same musical academy that produced the legendary playback singer Mahendra Kapoor. Anwar started singing Mohammad Rafi songs at various concerts. It was during one of those musical shows that Anwar was spotted by the music director Kamal Rajasthani, who gave him a chance to sing for his film Mere Gharib Nawaz. The song was Kasme Hum Apni Jaan Ki. Mohammad Rafi personally acclaimed and congratulated Anwar.
 Rise to fame
In 1977, comedian Mehmood and music director Rajesh Roshan hired Anwar to sing for Film Janta Hawaldar, the songs Teri Aankhon Ki Chahat, and Humse Ka Bhool Hui, were picturised on famous actor Rajesh Khanna. Both the film and song were super hit; hence Anwar started getting work and recognition.
Music Director Kamal Rajasthani relates that during the recording sessions of song Kasme Hum Apno Jaan Ki, Mohammed Rafi was so impressed that he described Anwar as the one singer who could take his place after him.
Anwar sang duets alongside the majestic playback singers Lata Mangeshkar, Asha Bhosle to Alka Yagnik, under music directors Khayyam, Laxmikant Pyarelal, Kalyanji Anandji to Bappi Lahiri, Anu Malik and present Dilip Sen-Sameer Sen. In a career span stretching over thirty years, Anwar sang a variety of songs including filmi songs, classical songs and contemporary ghazals, bhajans, qawwali, and Sufi songs.
When the remix revolution started making inroads into the bollywood music industry, Anwar got bored of the music being churned out and took a break from playback singing and settled in the United States of America, concentrating on live stage performances. However, he later returned to Mumbai.
In 2004 Anwar composed an album called "Meri Aashiqui Se Pehle" broadcasted on popular RKB show of Sahara Channel. All the songs in the album were mesmerising so much so that one would sense the magic of Mohammad Rafi and appreciate Anwar's talent.
Presently Anwar is busy performing live concerts, cutting albums and occasionally when suitable playback singing. In 2006, Anwar recorded a Sufi song for music director Dilip Sameer Sen in film Kabhi Pyar kiya.
 Notable songs
* Sohni Meri Sohni.. Rab se jiyada tera naam leta hoon(Film :Sohni Mahiwal, starring Sunny Deol)
* Yeh pyar tha ya kuchh aur tha (Film : Premrog Rishi Kapoor)
* Nazar Se Phool Chunti Hai (Film: Ahista Ahista1981)
* Mohabbat Ab Tijarat (Film: Arpan,starring Jeetendra)
* Rab Ne Banaya Mujhe Tere Liye (Film: Heer Ranjha1992, starring Anil Kapoor)
* Zindagi Imtihan Leti hai (Film: Naseeb, starring Amitabh Bachchan)
* Hathon Ki Chand Lakiron Ka (Film: Vidhaata, starring Dilip Kumar)
* Shair Bana Diya (Film: Yeh Ishq Nahin Ahsaan, starring Rishi Kapoor) and many more.
Other Selected Hit Songs:
* Chand Se Phool Talak (Film Jaan-E-Wafa)
* Yeh Husn Yeh Shabab (Film Shiv Charan)
* Mere Khayalon Ki Rehguzar (Film Yeh Ishq Nahin Asaan)
* Mausam Mausam lovely Mausam (Film Thodisi Bewafai)
* Ek Pal Hasna (Film Bahar Aane Tak)
* Huzoor Aap Yeh Tohfa (Film Safar)
* Kahan Jateho Ruk Jao (Film Dulha Bikta Hai)
* O Saathi Re (Film Cobra)
* Maine Zameen Per Chand (Film Parbat ke Us Paar)
* Dil Toot Gaya Hai Apna (Film Anokha Insaan)
* Ruk Ja Saathi (Door Desh)
* Uthao Jaam Masti Mein (Film Beshak)
* Kisi Soorat (Film Awara Zindagi)
* O Jaane Jaana Jaane Bahara (Film Pratigyabadh)
* Main Tere Paas Hoon (Film Do Disayen)
* Lagi Re Mehndi (Film Maqqar)
* Jab Aaye Aise Pal Kabhi (Film Yudhpath)
* Yeh Safar Bhi Kitna Suhana Hai (Film Sawaal)
* Ek Taj Mahal Dil Mein (Film Kasak)
* Tumhen Jhamgata Ashikon ka (Film Padosi Ki Biwi)
* Hum Unki Aarzoo Mein (Film Noor E Illahi)
* Dil Diwano Ka Dola (Film Tahalka)
* Main Faqeer Ishq Mera (Film Ishq Khuda Hai)
* Aag Hawa Mitti Aur Paani (Film Heer Ranjha 1992)
* Jaa Meri Deeye Ladli (Punjabi Film Sarpanch)
* Ek Gal Das Mainu Bottle (Punjabi Film Sarpanch)
Selected Classical Ghazals:
* Bahar Aai Hai Bharde
* Aap Ka Aitbar Kaon Kare
* Tu Hi Apne Hath Se
* Phool Si Soorat
Selected Contemporary Ghazals:
* Lab Pe Tere Iqraar E Mohabbat
* Yeh Kafas Hi Mujhko Aziz Hai
* Jabse Qareeb Hoke Chale
* Ghadiyan Ginte Din Beete
Contemporary Ghazal Albums:
* Mehboob Mere